Saturday, August 15, 2009

Worland, WY - aka Paradise

We had a secret vacation spot that we absolutely love...Worland, Wyoming! Yes, you heard me correctly, Worland!! My Aunt Claudia and Uncle Bruce live there and ever since I was a little baby, our family would travel to Worland every year - at least once (sometimes more, if we were lucky). Last weekend, the entire Sorenson clan (except for my brother Richard), descended upon Worland for a fun, relaxing, adventurous time. Bruce and Claudia go out of their way to make sure that there is delicious food and memorable activities and this year was awesome!!
Worland is the perfect balance of peaceful, relaxing down time and busy, fun activities!
Here's how we each spent our time relaxing:
Jeannette - sewing!!!! (my mom and I each brought our sewing machines, so along with my sister Becky, we sat for hours and hours working on sewing projects - ah, heaven!). Close behind sewing was drinking diet pop like it was the last of it on earth!
Jon - reading, catching up on sleep
Emily - jumping on the trampoline, playing games
Lindsey - jumping on the trampoline, watching Disney movies on a tv all by herself
Jack - jumping on the trampoline
Kate - playing with Cabbage Patch dolls, Strawberry Shortcake, Little People & Smurfs ALL DAY. I've never seen Kate play happily by herself for such a long stretch of time. She was in heaven!
Hannah - trying to get Aunt Claudia's most breakable objects, taking great naps
Steve (my dad) - taking two naps a day, reading, working on crossword puzzles
Corinne (my mom) - sewing

Peter (my brother) - taking naps
Mike (my brother) - working with Uncle Bruce in the garage to build a new bookcase
Candy (my sister-in-law) working in the garage on restoring a stool and old window frames
Becky (my sister) - sewingMike, Emily & Lindsey
Kate & Jack (proof that they actually get along at times)

Mike & Uncle Bruce in the garage

Candy - working hard in the garage
We found a few spare moments to torture Hannah by putting her in Cabbage Patch doll's clothes


We also did a ton of fun activities. Uncle Bruce had rigged up some of his equipment to blast 2-litter pop bottles in the air. He'd fill them with water, add air for pressure and then release them into the air. They were great! The kids took turns pulling the rope to release them and Becky would try to catch them in the net. The kids, Jon & Mike started to try to help catch the rockets and by the end of the evening, most of us where trying to catch them. At one point, Jon told me that if I caught it, he'd buy me a new camera. No luck for me that night - no camera! For one round, we chanted "We all go to Maverick on dad" (meaning that we'd go to the local gas station and dad would pay for it). For the very last round, we kiddingly said if both bottles were caught, we'd go to Hawaii on dad. That round, the bottles were both caught (thanks to Mike & Jon) and we jumped up and down with excitement. It was great!
Align Left
Uncle Bruce loading the "rockets"

Becky & Peter getting ready to catch the falling rockets
The next night, Bruce and Claudia had rigged up an outdoor movie for us to watch. Using a white screen and an old projector, we all watched "Savannah Smiles" together. It was a nice cool night and we had a fun time watching it outside.
We also got to design, paint and race boats down the canal that runs behind the house. We each drew our design on a piece of wood and Uncle Bruce cut them out. They were painted and then raced. Some of the boats were: a carrot, Homer Simpson's head, a pirate ship, a bunny, and an Emperial Star Destroyer. The kids raced first and Uncle Bruce caught all those boats with his net. Then, the older kids (my generation) raced. Things were looking good until the net's pole snapped in half - sending several boats further down the canal. Jon and Uncle Bruce to the rescue! Several minutes, drenched from the waist down, the heroes returned with all but one of the boats! The last race was the grownups and then a race off between the winners! It was so much fun!

Most of the boat racers

The girls painting the boats with Aunt Claudia

The starting line


The finish line

The main reason for going to Worland when we did was to celebrate my dad's 60th birthday! He picked the perfect place to do it. We had a delicious dinner with yummy dessert and then my mom had put together a game of "What's My Line?" which meant dad, Aunt Claudia and Uncle Bruce were blindfolded and had to guess who each of us were. It was really fun!

Kate with a plate full of sprinkles (and a little bit of cake) to celebrate grandpa's birthday



Aunt Claudia, my dad and Kate enjoying a few last glorious moments on the trampoline.

What a great trip - thank you Claudia and Bruce (and all my family) for a wonderful weekend together and Happy 60th Birthday Dad!

7 comments:

Debbie said...

oh that sounds so wonderful...our favorite place in wyoming is Dubois...we were there last year for a week and we have our reunion there in 2010...I love Wyoming...Rodeos, Tetons, Jackson Hole, Buffalos, nature, beauty, fighing, hiking...oh I want to go back now :) I have to see where Worland is on the map...miss you guys, love ya guys too...

Anonymous said...

that sounds like so much fun. you guys always have so much fun...i want to come. :) when are we going to get together????

Ryan Cowley said...

Ditto Heather's comment. I think we need to do a girl's night out.

Becky Sorenson said...

That was THE best trip to Worland EVER, hands down! I have never laughed so much and had so much fun in a two day span. Great post - I think you covered it all!

Kelsi said...

I love Savannah Smiles!!! Great movie. Looks like fun. I bet it is so fun to have all of the family together. Cute pictures!

Kirsten said...

Oh I miss guys! Crazy all the adventures you guys are having...it still feels like you are gone on some long Christmas break and will be back soon.

Your trip sounds like it was amazing! I am glad you enjoyed some R&R, family time, time with Jon and time to sew. What could be better than that? I am happy you guys get to join back in on family traditions and adventures again. That's got to be really fun for you and your kids. Miss you!

Rachel said...

"It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how!" You guys definitely know how! Who knew the middle of Wyoming could be so much fun?!