Monday, December 6, 2010

Thanksgiving Celebrations

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend (and week before!). As the holiday approached, I dreaded it a little bit though. With my parents being gone, I knew the bulk of the weekend would be on me and I was hoping that I could do it in a way that our family felt like not much has changed. My parents were missed terribly, but I think we all had a great time!

The Friday before Thanksgiving, the PTA put on a turkey trot. Lindsey & Jack were both pretty sure they could beat the entire 3rd and 1st grades to bring home a turkey. Emily was just happy to participate. The race was a bit chaotic (as I literally watched several children knocked to the ground). Jack's race was first and he was so excited. I knew he rushed as fast as he could through lunch so that he would be sure to not miss it. He had a little indian headband on and once the race started, it flew off. He turned around and went and got it and race his little heart out. He didn't win a turkey, but as you can see by the pictures, he loved it.




Lindsey's race came a few minutes later and she was a speed demon. She started near the end, but I watched her pass person after person. I could tell there was 1 girl in front of her that had a commanding lead and then Lindsey started walking. I was all the way across the field, or I would have yelled at her to keep going. She ran again at the very end and finished. But then....she found out that each class had a girl and boy winner. The other girl she saw ahead of her was not in her class and that is why she started running. She cried and cried and cried when she realized that she would have won a turkey had she only kept running. Ah, you live and you learn!

(Lindsey almost at the finish line..I haven't showed her this picture yet, but this is the little girl from her class that won. She passed Lindsey after she had been walking a little while).




On the Saturday before Thanksgiving, we had been invited up to Betty & Marc Mortensen's home. Betty & Marc are my sister's in-laws and they have been so kind to us. We just love them and think so highly of them. They were going to be out of town for Thanksgiving, so we had a "Pre-Thanksgiving feast." Their home smelled soooo good and the kids had a wonderful time playing with their grandchildren. It meant so much to us to be invited to someone's home and fed such a wonderful meal.


Hannah & Kate playing with toys


Becky & Hannah


The adult table


The kids playing Guitar Hero. I didn't realize this, but my sister is an expert Guitar Hero player. Like usual, good at everything she does!


The day before Thanksgiving, we spent the morning shopping and then Jon & I made pies all afternoon. He loves to do it and is such a good pie maker. Then, on Thursday, we got up early and started cooking! We cooked a turkey, stuffing, creamed corn, mashed potatoes & gravy, creamy cranberry salad and raspberry Jell-O salad. We had our dinner at my parent's ward building and it was a huge success. All the food was so tasty! It was wonderful to be with aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers, sister & friends!

Jon & Tom in the kitchen! These 2 are the reason it all worked out! They were great!

Uncle Bruce carving his turkey

John M. carving a turkey!


I was horrible about taking pictures the rest of the weekend, but we had most everyone from dinner come over to our house that night for more yummy food and games. Friday was spent getting Emily & Lindsey up at 3 to go Black Friday shopping with Candy (they were soooo excited!), putting up Christmas decorations and then going to the Cowden's house for yummy food and games again. Nice, nice day!

On Saturday, we went shopping at Rod Works and to lunch at Crown Burger with Aunt Claudia & Uncle Bruce. Again, wonderfully fun! And then Sunday was Baby Lucy's blessing and a huge snow storm!
It was a wonderful weekend, full of wonderful company and wonderful blessings!

This is an icicle that was by our front door. I had never seen one that went both up and down and side to side.

The kids got Christmas quilts out on Thanksgiving night and this was Kate's new one this year. I finished it just a day or two before Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

john + becky said...

Great post! That was such a long, fun weekend with family. I can email you my pictures from Thanksgiving if you want.

Poor Lindsey - maybe next year she can bring home the turkey!

megadog said...

Looks like a great celebration. I was cheering right along with Lindsey and feeling like screaming myself...DON'T STOPPPPPPPP!
Dang! The turkey is hers next year!

Kelsi said...

Looks like a wonderful Thanksgiving!! That quilt is amazing as usual. Love seeing all that you guys have been up to.