Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Being Five

 Hannah did 2 sessions of swimming lessons over the summer.   She made a lot of progress, but the one thing she refused to do was jump off the diving board.  She would not do it!  

I'd reassure her that she'd be safe, that Ms. Lorie would catch her as soon as she went into the water, reminded her that all the other kids in her class did it, etc., but she absolutely refused.   During the first session, I even bought her a makeup kit that she could have if she'd only jump off the diving board once.  Nope.  Wouldn't do it.

She started telling me after every lesson, "I didn't really want a makeup set."  

But then, she turned 5!

The day after her birthday, she had swimming lessons.  Once again, we got to the point in the lesson where all the other kids from the class headed to the diving board, and she stayed in the shallow end.  I went over to her and again encouraged (okay, begged) her to jump one time.  She wouldn't do it. 

Then, Lily's mom (from her birthday party), went over and said "But, Hannah, now you're 5.  You can do it." 

Lo & behold, that is all it took.   That Hannie of mine got out of the pool, marched over to the line, waited her turn....

Waiting for Ms. Lorie to be ready

 Adjusting the goggles
 
 And...
 
 Launching herself as far as she could to Ms. Lorie
 
 And then that stinker got right out and did it one more time.
 
When I cheered and cheered and then went over to her, I asked her what made her decide to jump. 
Her response  "because now I'm 5." 
 
Here's to a girl who definitely does it her way!

2 comments:

Em said...

That is ADORABLE Jeannette. I love that story. What an adorable AND brave 5 year old!

megadog said...

Funny how that was all it took. She just needed to be a big girl!