Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Welcoming Baby Jake

 On early Friday, June 1st, we excitedly welcomed a new nephew/cousin, Jake Stephen Mortensen!  He's the little boy of my sister Becky and her husband John. 

Becky was kind enough to invite me to watch him born and it was absolutely wonderful!   Becky went into labor on Thursday night around 7:30 and by 8:30 she was headed to the hospital.  She was already a 4 when she checked in and they started an IV and gave her antibiotics.  Of course, my Jon was at work, so I called my brother Mike to see if he could come sleep on my couch.  Mike is a gem and came after he played in a softball game.  He got there about midnight.  The nurse had told Becky that she'd probably not deliver until 3 or 4, so Mike and I decided to get a little bit of sleep in case Jon got home, so that Mike could come wait at the hospital.  I told Becky that I'd head in around 2, with or without Mike.

She called at 1:50 a.m. and said to come now!  I got up and hurried to the hospital.  I walked in the Labor & Delivery room at 2:10 and they had Becky all ready to push.  She did about 3 pushes and out he came at 2:14 a.m!    A-MAZE-ING!!   Becky was a champ (and so much easier than pushing for 2 hours like she did with Brooklyn).  I was so grateful I made it and so grateful that Mike made it possible for me to be there.  (Jon was at that same hospital and I ended up making it home before him!).

Jake weighed 8 lbs. 13 oz and was 21 1/2 inches long.  He loved laying on his mom's chest and trying to focus his little eyes on her.   He is perfect!   I think he has similar features to Brooklyn and he's just the nicest little baby!

A super, huge congratulations to Becky & John! 









2 comments:

Becky Sorenson said...

Oh I loved reading this post and you are WAY too nice. I'm so glad you made it there right in time (what is it with 2nd babies coming so fast? :))

I love the picture of his double chin - ha ha - that's my boy!!

You are a saint once again for staying up all night to see a 2 a.m. delivery. I'll try better on the next one to make that 2 PM :)

Em said...

Wow, you barely made it. SO nice you could be there. Love all the pictures. He is a real cutie!