Monday, April 6, 2015

Pregnancy Update - 31 1/2 weeks

Our pregnancy has gone really well this time - for which we are extremely grateful!  With my pregnancies, I always get proteinuria (protein in my urine) which is one symptom of pre-eclampsia, but it's not typical to just have the one symptom.   During this pregnancy, I have always shown traces of protein in urine dips.  I had this same thing with Kate's pregnancy and we were able to deliver her at 37 weeks.

At my appointment about a week and half ago though (so at 30 weeks), the dip showed my protein was a +3 and my blood pressure was then slightly raised.  My blood pressure has never been an issue, so that threw us for a loop.  It was an awful feeling to know that there was a possibility that our baby would need to be delivered (Jack was our earliest at 31 weeks & 6 days and that was hard enough).

We immediately had the doctor's office give me a steroid shot to help develop his little lungs (which takes 24 to 48 hours for full effect), they drew labs to test my liver and kidney function and we scheduled a time to go to Labor & Delivery the following morning for a nonstress test and I was to start at 24 hour urine collection.

I had a Priesthood blessing that night from Jon and our neighbor, Cal and Jon blessed the baby that he would be able to develop quickly and that he'd have the necessary time he needed to grow.  On Saturday, we went to L&D and the baby did great on the test.  They did an ultrasound to check my fluid levels and those all appeared to be normal.  They drew more labs to compare to the day before, they gave me a second steroid injection and then sent me home.  I was so relieved to be sent home.  The doctor on-call called later in the afternoon and reported that the liver function numbers were slightly abnormal, but nothing to worry about and my platelet count was fantastic so they could rule our HELLP syndrome.

I took the urine in to the lab on Sunday morning and then had a follow up appointment on Tuesday. Jon takes my blood pressure every day and I've been watching my urine drips - which seems to usually be between +1 and +2.    I've been drinking more water (and miraculously, haven't had a Diet Coke in 10 days!) and I've been trying to take it easy and rest a little bit more.

We are so, so grateful for each day that we have to grow this baby longer.  I am extra conscious of his movements and make sure that I feel him moving enough each day and we're just taking a day at a time.  I'll have an extensive appointment with ultrasound, non-stress test, labs and check up on Wednesday and we'll go from there.  Our first goal was to get to 32 weeks (which will be Wednesday) and then after that, we'd love to get to 34, 35 or 36 weeks. 

We have been immensely blessed by friends and family praying for us and fasting for us.  Words cannot describe the amount of gratitude I feel for everyone!  Thank you from the bottom of our hearts!   We know we are being watched over and blessed by our Heavenly Father and appreciate all that you do!

Here's hoping to lots  more days & weeks of being pregnant.....

1 comment:

Kellen, Melissa & Kohen said...

Our goal with my second pregnancy was to get further than my first. We were counting down the days till we were further. I pray this baby stays in longer and you don't have to have another NICU experience!