Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Grandma Clyde

While I was in Nashville (post to come soon), my mom called me to tell me that my grandma had passed away.  We knew it was nearing the end because she had stopped eating and drinking.   I was sad to hear of her passing, but grateful for her release from this life.  She had had Alzheimer's for several years and wasn't the same grandma I knew.

Just as in life, she died in a classy way.  My mom and her sisters were at her side.  The nurse had stepped out of the room.  My mom had wanted to see her eyes one more time.  She opened her eyes one last time and a tear formed in one of them (which was amazing considering she hadn't had any fluids in days) and then she was gone.  I would guess that she either saw someone on the other side that she was happy and touched to see again, or perhaps she thought of those she was leaving behind.

The following weekend, we had a wonderful viewing for her.  My mom asked Becky and I if we'd like to help dress her body.  I was truly honored and will always be grateful for the experience.  My grandma was teeny - probably under 100 lbs.  We dressed her in a black business suit - just like she wore often during her life.  She looked so classy and beautiful!

The viewing was great.  So many wonderful family and friends came to it.  We had brought our kids, but Jon left after about 30 minutes with them because Kate and Lindsey had a voice recital that night.  I stayed with Sam so that I could be there for the family prayer.  All my cousins (except a couple) were able to come and it was so fun to catch up with them.  

The next morning, we had a graveside service.  It was a beautiful September morning.  The program was great - my dad conducted, Tyler (my cousin) read the obituary and shared some thoughts, my brother Peter spoke and then my aunt Claudia spoke.

After the cemetery, the adults went to my aunt's house for a nice luncheon.  We were able to visit more and talk about our favorite memories of this amazing woman!




 Tyler & I 




 My cousin Monica & Aunt Clarese









































I will eternally be grateful for my wonderful Grandma.  She was one of the most generous people I will ever know.  She worked hard and loved making others happy.  She had a wonderful laugh and was always quick to spoil us!  She loved her 4 daughters more than anything!

2 comments:

Kelsi said...

She sounds like an amazing person. Nice to see everyone together to celebrate her life.

Em said...

You Grandma was such a classy, wonderful lady. I am so sad she had to suffer for so long. I'm glad she is not suffering anymore, but it still is hard to lose your Grandma.