Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Stitches

Jon has done a lot of sutures in his life as a medical student, resident & physician. He's even done stitches at our house (Ethan Rasmussen's chin, a couple of cut hands from cutting up food, a head wound, etc.), but he's never had to do any stitches on our kids - until yesterday!

Jon didn't have to work until later in the day, so he had left to take Emily to a store. I was trying something on my sewing machine and I heard a loud thump. I hear loud thumps all the time. Then, I heard Jack start to cry. I hear Jack cry all the time. But, I decided I better go see what happened when I heard Lindsey's concerned voice say "Are you okay?"

Jack and Lindsey had been on the computer and he leaned back in a folding chair. It toppled over and he whacked his head on the wooden bottom of our railing. I walked up the stairs and he told me he fell and hit his head. Lindsey was behind him and said "He's bleeding." Sure enough, his hand was full of blood and it quickly ran all over his back (he had a swimming suit on).

I took him into the bathroom, gave him a cold washcloth to put on it and then called Jon. When Jon answered, I asked him to turn around and come home. When Jon got there, sure enough, his head needed stitches. While waiting for Jon to come all Jack could say was "I really don't want stitches. I really don't want stitches."

Jon was able to numb the wound with some lidocaine cream and then put in 3 stitches. Jack was really brave about it and was so happy when it was over. That ended swimming lessons for him this week! Poor guy! Hopefully he's learned to not lean back in a chair, especially a folding chair!


Here's his head with the cream on it - waiting for it to get all the way numb.

2 comments:

john + becky said...

Poor guy..that would hurt! And too bad he is missing out on all the swimming this week.

It is so nice to have Jon around to answer all our medical questions and to stitch up a head here or there.

megadog said...

Poor little kid. Stiches and shots are at the bottom of the happiness list for every kid. Glad Daddy was close by.