Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Packing Up & Loading the Truck

If I never have to move again....I will be happy! I will be honest, moving is horrible! We started packing a couple of months ahead of time, but we still did so much work the last week before we packed the truck. My mom and dad came and were so incredible in helping us pack and clean. We couldn't have done it without them! We knew we wouldn't be able to fit all of our things into a U-Haul, Penske, etc., so we reserved an ABF truck. We reserved 24 feet and knew that we'd fill most of it.
On the day of our load, the trailer was dropped off and my dad and Jack went right to work (I think Jon was finishing up some requirements). They started loading boxes. My dad would set a box in the truck and then Jack would push it all the way to the back.
That afternoon, Kirsten came and took the kids to the Bunny Park (splash pad) - which was a lifesaver! The kids had a blast and we were able to get so much more done. We had a lot of great friends from the ward come and help us haul stuff out of the house and onto the truck. We were so grateful for all of their help! Our piano alone, is the heaviest thing you've ever seen and took 4 men to get it loaded! We slept on our mattresses that night and then loaded the rest of the things in the morning. My good friend, Elaine, came over and helped us clean. We got everything out and then went and checked into a hotel. We stayed at that hotel for 2 nights, which ended up being such a blessing. It was clean, cool, away from any "moving" things and gave us the chance to do the rest of our last minute errands (turning in cable boxes & keys to the landlord).
Jon would proudly announce that rather than our stuff fitting in 24 feet, they packed it to fit in 19 feet! It was amazing - not an ounce of space to spare! Again, thank you to all of our dear friends who helped us pack and load!
The ABF truck at the side of our apartment

Jack - excited about pushing boxes to the front of the truck

Hannah - trying to find something fun to doJack, Emily & Kate on the truck

Jack, Kate, Lindsey, Ethan, Emily, Hannah, Brynlee & Hailey

(Oh, I wish we had just packed all of those cute kids with us!!!)

One of many, many, many things my dad hauled out of the apartment

Dad & Jon on the truck (at times it had to be 120 degrees in there).

Leaving our apartment - I have a huge smile on my face - I was SO done with packing, cleaning, etc., that I was just ready to be at the hotel.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Can't believe your residency is really over. That you have a real job. And a house. And not an Upper Arlington address. Best of luck

Becky Sorenson said...

From the looks of Dad's shirt it appears to have been 220 degrees in that truck!!

Ryan Cowley said...

I so agree with you on never wanting to move again! We did it with two and it was less than 100 miles away. You are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Em said...

What a ton of work! Moving is the worst. Hope you are here to stay forever.

Sarah said...

Sorry we missed your moving week. I would have loved to come and help. We miss you guys!

emilyf said...

whew!! I can't even believe you made it through the cleaning...that's when I would have broken down, I'm sure. I should start working on that now, for when the moment actually comes for me to toughen up!