Tuesday, August 9, 2011

An Unexpected Tender Mercy!

We've had a wonderful, fun summer and I hate to see it winding down! It's also been an eventful summer, with an unexpected blessing. Several weeks ago, I was at McDonald's Playland with the kids and I got a call from my mom. She had just gotten home from being at the hospital with my dad. He had been sick with a fever, body aches, etc., but then developed some shortness of breath. She convinced him to go to the doctor and they put him in the hospital (this is in Moscow, Russia).

They discovered his lungs had a ton of blood clots in them and they also discovered a growth on the outside of his liver. He stayed in the hospital in Moscow (where there is no AC or ice!!) for several days and then the doctor's and Area Authorities for the Church decided it was best to send them back to Utah for further medical testing and treatment.

We immediately felt the prayers, thoughts and fasting on behalf of my parents! We were hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

The night they arrived at the airport, Jon was at work. I bathed the kids and I decided to take them all to the airport. We were getting ready to leave and literally found our neighbors & friends, the Ruben family, in our garden. They were weeding! I was so touched and was so grateful for their service to us. Little did they know, that was I headed to the airport to see my parents.

It was wonderful to see them! They both looked so good and were so happy! We hadn't seen my dad in a year. All of my siblings came too (except Pete, who was in Hawaii).

They began doctor appointments, blood draws, etc. the next day. Come to find out, my dad had a rather large clot that travelled up near his lungs and heart. Thankfully, his heart was strong enough to burst that clot into a ton of pieces and it sent it into his lungs. H found out he has a genetic predisposition to clots and will be on blood thinner the rest of his life. Then, the mass on the liver, was gone! Totally gone! They did find he has some hardening of the bile ducts and that can be a pre-cancerous risk, but there's not a lot they can do about it. For now, he's fine!

They were able to be in Salt Lake for 3 weeks and it was absolutely wonderful! They got his blood levels back within the range they want them, so they were able to return to Moscow and will continue their missionary service, under the care of Moscow physicians.

We enjoyed every minute with them and will always remember the summer of 2011! We swam (they stayed at a friend's house that had a swimming pool), ate delicious food, shopped, sewed, played games, watched them enjoy their new 3 grandaughters, and talked for hours and hours. I love my parents so much and am so grateful for the Lord's tender mercy in letting us enjoy them like we did!


Hannah waiting for grandma & grandpa at the airport


Aren't they cute?







Becky & Dad




Emily, grandma & Hailey




Becky, my dad & I








Rich, Becky, my dad & Mike


Hannah getting ready to "swim."




Becky & Brooklyn



Jack




Hannah & Rich




Lindsey and Mike against Jack and Rich








This is what Kate spent the time doing.



John & Brooklyn



Kate & Mike



Peter (with his Hawaiian tan) & Kate






One evening, my parents had some of their missionaries and a member from Moscow come and visit with them. It's easy to see the love that they have for them and the love that the missionaries have for my parents.

5 comments:

Kelsi said...

Your parents look so good! I am glad everything is ok and you guys were able to spend some time with them! That picture of Becky and Hannah is to die for!!! Loved seeing all of the pictures. So dang cute.

Cyndi said...

Big Hugs. I'm so glad they were able to go back!

Jennifer said...

so glad your dad is doing well. That is scary. I'm glad he got to go back. Isn't it fun to watch missionaries with their president? I watched how the missionaries enjoyed my parents at their homecoming talk. And how the missionaries parents thanked them. It's fun to see it from the other side. Makes me appreciate my mission president even more (I'm sure you understand). I'm so glad everything is okay now. Hope things continue to go well.

emilyf said...

wow! so glad he's okay! i would love to have your parents as mission pres and wife :) and yes, they are cute!

but not as cute as those kids of yours! i miss you guys! but, i'll be home in two days! i'll be seeing you soon, i can feel it! :)

Em said...

What a nice treat to have them home. I loved all the pictures. They were so sweet especially the ones at the airport.