Monday, November 21, 2011

Saturday & Sunday in Russia

Back to pictures from our trip...

On Sunday morning, Alexander picked us up and drove us to the International Branch (English speaking) for church. He purposely drove us past Red Square and St. Basil's Cathedral so we could get a close look.

It was so fun to be at church with my parents and meet a few more of their missionaries and those they serve with. They are all so great! It was the children's sacrament meeting presentation, so it was a great week to be there.

We came home and had a great Sunday afternoon - doing the things we love...


Lindsey frosting cookies



Hannah watching movies


and Kate coloring while I took a nap on the couch!



On Monday, my mom, Jon, Emily, Kate, Hailey & I went to The Metro. The Metro is their version of Costco. My brave mother drove us there herself!! The traffic and drivers in Moscow are insane and they just make up their own rules (like creating 2 extra lanes of traffic or parking on the sidewalks). Some of the other mission wives would never drive anywhere without the driver, but not my mother! She's too independent for that and if she needs to go somewhere, she gets in the van and takes herself there.


Anyway, we wanted to see what it was like, so we left all the other kids with my dad and went. We got there in about 20 minutes (which my mom said is so unusual, because it usually takes an hour). We started to walk into the store, but they stopped us and wouldn't let Kate go in. "No one under 10 allowed." So, Jon sat out with Kate & Hailey and my mom, Emily & I walked around and shopped. Then, I switched with Jon so he could walk through the store. They had a lot of American brands, but with a Russian twist...for example....


Caviar-flavored Lay's potato chips


Crab-flavored Lay's potato chips


Anyway, it was a great experience, fun to stop with my mom and makes me so very grateful that if I need something at the store, I can run get it and be home in 15 minutes instead of 3 or 4 hours!!

4 comments:

lisa h. said...

did you try the chips...so weird!

john + becky said...

YUCK!! Crab and caviar chips?? Those both sound disgusting. I hope you didn't try those.

Bowen Family said...

No way, I didn't try them. Food is so expensive there, that it was probably $6 a bag, so we left them on the shelf!

megadog said...

Icky! China has brands like that too and Paul and I actually did try them. Some pretty good and some truly gag inducing.