Thursday, December 1, 2011

Final Days in Russia

Our last few days were great too!

On Tuesday, we went down to Red Square to see Lenin's tomb & St. Basil's Cathedral. When we went into Red Square, they made us check in our bags/cameras/etc. in order to see Lenin's body. They have kept this guy on display for over 80 years now. He looked a little waxy, but not too bad for being dead for so long. Apparently, they give him a chemical bath every so often. It was a very solemn, serious place.

After we saw that, we walked to St. Basil's Cathedral - a completely breathtaking building. We got tickets to tour the inside of it. It wasn't as long as I thought it would be, but at one point, Kate (in tears) said "I would rather be anywhere else in the world than here." She was obviously not impressed. Jon & I thought it was great. Unfortunately, Russian history isn't a very happy history, but they have beautiful buildings!


My cute parents - in their Russian hats



Jack was obviously not impressed either


another beautiful building at Red Square


After Red Square, we headed to lunch at McDonald's as we had hungry kids and a baby who needed to be nursed.






Look familiar?


Oops - another building on Red Square


On Wednesday, my dad had mission things to do, so my mom took us on the Metro to Ismilava - which is a flea market-type place with great souveniers. The kids found some fun things and we had a great time shopping. Jack got a chess set, my mom got a white Russian hat, Jon got a brown Russian hat, I got a Christmas nativity, and all the kids got small little Matruska doll key chains for their classes.


The only time we ever heard any Russian laugh was there - as we were walking, Hannah's pants fell down and it cracked up about 3 little old ladies sitting nearby.


On Thursday, we left Kate & Hannah with my mom and the rest of us took the Metro to Victory Park - a monument about World War 2. Lindsey really didn't want to go, but we made her come. We really talked it up and got there, only to discover it closes every last Thursday for sanitation day. It was still great to see the outside of it though.



What the monument and museum looked like as we walked towards it.



Lindsey, Jack & Emily's victory after running up all the stairs









My cute dad and I



My cute Jon & I



Emily in front of a sign that I believe says "Moscow." In the winter, they fill in the garden spots with colored wood chips.


Lindsey

That night, we celebrated Emily's birthday - who would turn 12 the next day - the day we left. It doesn't seem possible that we have a 12 year old already! She's such a joy!




Then, my parent's little community had a Trick-or-Treat night, so we had brought the kid's Halloween costumes, so they dressed up and we went around. Russian candy isn't quite as sweet as American candy, so they weren't all that impressed. It was so fun to be there though and meet some of my parent's good friends.






Cute little pig


Hailey - smiling at my dad


Wow! What an incredible adventure and trip! We were so happy with our great our kids were, how wonderful it was to experience a new culture and country and what a blessing it was to see my parents and spend time with them in the mission field. We miss them terribly! It's almost unbearable to have them gone, but they are where they need to be. To see them in their element was amazing! Thank you mom and dad for taking such good care of us and for giving us the opportunity of a life-time!!!

1 comment:

Kelsi said...

What an amazing adventure. I loved reading about your trip. Traveling is the best. Love all of those cool buildings in Russia.