Friday, November 9, 2012

2012 Witches Party

 One of my favorite days in the whole year is the day in October when I do my witches party!   It is a lot of work, but I just love it!!   This is the 4th one I've done in Utah since moving back and I thought it was a really fun one!

The prep for this party always starts in about June.  That is when I decide on a quilt to make and the party favors.    Then, as it gets closer, I put the menu together, decorate the house, beg Kirsten for her ideas :) and get super excited!

I had lots of wonderful help the day of the party!   This was the day after Becky & the kids came in from AZ, so it was fun to have them there helping me!

Decorating cupcakes


 Making witches brooms - Reese's PB cups with stick pretzels
 
 Brooklyn was even willing to help
 
 And willing to sample them :)
 


While the inside was getting ready, my professional cob web designer, AKA Tom Bowen, was outside putting up the spider web.    Tom had gone to OR just a couple of weeks before the party and I wasn't sure if he was going to be able to do it.  Jon was willing to try, but I prefer Tom to do it.  Thankfully he came back to SLC for some meetings and was able to get it up.  Once again, it was fabulous!!




Jon was kind enough to take all 7 kids (mine plus Brooklyn) to McDonald's right before the party started.   (He is funny - he even stopped at RC Willey on the way home to pick out new carpet).



 The tables all set - notice the cute witches legs hanging from the mantle.
 
 
We had the usual menu:
 
 
Bread bowls
Soup from Kneaders (Creamy Chicken Noodle & Loaded Baked Potato)
Homemade chili
Veggies with dip
Creamy cranberry salad
a yummy punch - lemonade, cranberry juice & raspberries
 
 
Dessert was cupcakes, witches brooms & pumpkin crisp (a new recipe)
 
 
I always do this party for my cousins & aunts!   This year's hat decorating theme was "Favorite Holiday."    ALL of the hats were so cute!   I always appreciate all the work that they put into them ( I don't do a hat - I have too much work to do doing the rest of the party :)    My favorite hat was Jill's.  She made an Easter "bonnet" - so cute!    I think there are pictures of everyone in their hats, but they're on Becky's camera, so I'll have to add those later).
 



 Becky wanted to do a Christmas hat.  She was kind enough to let Lindsey design it for her.    All Lindsey needs is some contruction paper and tape.
 
 
In addition to the witches hat contest, I added a game (compliments of Kirsten's idea) called "Which Witch is Which?"  and it was a blast!!  I had everyone email me something about themselves that no one knew.    They were great and most of them fooled everyone!  
 
For fun, here were the "witches" which....
 
Kathie Olsen - got hit by a car 2 times in the same day
 
Sharon Unufe - loves playing card games
 
Uini Unufe - all time favorite movie is "What's Up Doc?"
 
Pat Olsen - flew to LA to take tests and be interviewed to become a stewardess.  Went to LA Temple while on a break and the temple president said "the Lord has something much more important waiting for you than becoming a stewardess."  Soon afterward, met her husband.
 
Jill Clark - has a minor in anthropology
 
Jennifer Welsh - when she was younger, used to make prank calls and say "This is Kmart.  Can I put you on hold?"
 
Isabella Welsh - as a little girl, licked her finger and smeared it on the mirrow in the dance studio, just to make her teacher mad.
 
Jeannette Bowen - dream job would be to put large Lego displays together
 
Emily Bowen - played soccer as a 3 year old and hated it
 
Becky Mortensen - got punched in the face by a boy in Elementary School
 
Misty Sorenson - her first & longest crush is on Fred Savage...oh, so dreamy!"
 
Meg Graf - she almost lost her pants on the streets of New York City
 
Annie Cowden - eats 2 bowls of cereal every day
 
Carla Olsen - in high school, had lunch with President Kimball's wife, all by herself.
 
Jillian Koon - has 2 different shaped thumbs & thumbnails.
 
Camilla Christensen - dreams of opening & owning her own restaurant one day with her husband
 
Pam Beach - would really, really like to live in a big city like New York, Paris or London
 
 
 
For the last year fews, I've made a Halloween or Witches quilt and given it away in a drawing.  If you've won a quilt before, you can't win again.   So, this year's winner was.....
 
 
 
 
Ms. Jennifer Welsh!!!
 
 
 


 I was soooo happy that Jenny won!   She totally deserved it!!
 
 
These were the party favors - I had found these little paper purses on clearance last year, so they were so easy to put together.   Inside was a small hand sanitizer with a witch on it and a couple of pieces of candy. 
 

Thank you everyone for coming and making it another successful witches party!!!

4 comments:

meg said...

Thank you Jeannette! You always put so much work into it. I love coming and I am already so excited for next year!

megadog said...

Thanks for another AMAZING party. I wanted the quilt this year SO bad and it looked amazing in my front room all season long. Wish I could win every year!
Thanks for hosting such a great event for us crazy ladies every year.

AnnDee said...

You are so dang talented!! I was actually quite bummed at the retreat that I didn't score a cute witches leg! You and Kirsten are the party planners for sure. And you go ALLL out. I need to learn a few things from you. :) Looks like the party was a hit and VERY FUN!

Em said...

I am so sad I missed the party this year. It looked amazing as usual. I am so jealous of Jenny winning the quilt. It is adorable. You are so nice to put this on year after year. I look forward to it and will be there next year.