Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Christmas 2015

We had an absolutely wonderful Christmas and Christmas break!  I tried to have everything done before the kids got out of school for the break and the other thing I did that helped was not have my sewing machine out.  I have missed sewing tremendously!  But, I have to remember that I have 7 kids, a husband with a busy work schedule and busy church responsibilities, PTA assignments, etc and it's just not the season in my life that I have a lot of "me" time.  That's okay.  Some day, I will.

Without projects tempting me, I spent a lot of time playing games with the kids, working on puzzles with them, etc.  

On Christmas Eve, we had a fun party at our house.  We ordered our usual Chick-Fil-A nugget platter with delicious sides.   We also had a white elephant exchange, which is always a highlight.  Jon worked that afternoon and got home as the party was ending.   Everyone left by 9:15 or so.   

My mom and I had a last minute, crazy, fun idea.....to sleep at her house!  It was supposed to snow that night and my parents were going to come over Christmas morning for a little bit and then everyone was meeting at their house in the afternoon for Christmas dinner.  I didn't want them to be alone on Christmas morning, so as soon as everyone left, I pitched the idea to Jon and the kids.  At first, Kate didn't want to (she thought it would mean that we couldn't open a gift that night), but then we convinced her and we all flew into crazy mode.

Jon and I gathered all the gifts, clothes, food, bedding, etc (mostly while we had the kids in the basement), left a note for Santa and drove both our cars to my parents.   Sam was exhausted and starving, but was such a great sport about our spontaneous decision.

The kids went to bed and set everything up.

My parents house is so wonderful and cozy and holds a lot of great memories for me, so what an amazing blessing to wake up Christmas morning (after Hannah's excitement kept me up most of the night) there.  We opened gifts from Santa and had a delicious breakfast together.



















We lounged around all day in pj's and the kids played with their new things.  My mom made a delicious dinner and then we enjoyed exchanging gifts with them and my siblings (except Becky - who was in Arizona).  





What a blast!  A huge thank you to my parents for hosting 9 extra people at the last minute!  We had such a great time that we spent another 2 nights over New Year's.   With living so close, we hadn't actually slept at their house in over 6  years!  




4 comments:

Camille said...

Sam reminds me SO much of your Dad, every time I see him. Look at those cute napkins at the table!

Em said...

How fun! That sounds like a magical Christmas to be with your mom and dad. All the kids look so happy. I can't believe your baby - he is growing up so fast. What a cute guy.

Kirsten said...

What a fun idea, to be that spontaneous and be able to spend a fun Christmas with your parents. I bet they loved having their house full for Christmas and getting to relive their memories of you and your siblings as children. I am glad that you got to have that time with them over the holidays!

Kelsi said...

Sounds like a perfect Christmas! Your parents are the best.