Thursday, June 26, 2008

Raindrops on Roses?

Last night was one of the longest thunder and lightning storms I think I've ever experienced. It had rained previously in the afternoon and early evening, but about 11:45 last night, the big storm rolled in. Jon was at work and I had just dropped into bed when it started. Bright flashes of lightning and loud booms of thunder, were followed by the tornado siren going off. Several minutes into it, Emily came in my room from being woken up by it. Then came Kate (who we've recently switched to a toddler bed) and then a little while later, in comes Lindsey. During this time too, the baby got really active and my stomach was moving everywhere. I'm sorry to say that I didn't break into a version of "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music, but rather tried to find adequate space for my three visitors and my belly. Somehow Jack slept through the whole thing. Thankfully the power only went out briefly once, but the storm kept going and going. I think it lasted until almost 2:00 in the morning and we must have seen at least 100 flashes of lightning.

8 comments:

Corinne said...

What a night! I really wish you would have burst into song and then dancing and jumping on your bed. Where was nanny Becky during all of this?

Jessika said...

Jason told me about that storm too... you know, those thunder storms are some of my mom's favorite memories from living in Ohio. We've had afternoon thunderstorms pretty much every day the past 2 weeks here in Orlando, the start of the rainy season. Hope all is well and the pregnancy is going smoothly without any more complications! Love you guys!
Jessika

Em said...

Wow! That is amazing. I love all the kids wandering in to bed with you. It doesn't seem to take a thunderstorm to have Dane coming into our bed every night lately.

ash said...

There's something cozy about those storms, I think...maybe even almost calming. It isn't every night I'd like my kids in bed with me, but once in a while, on a night like that, it's kind of fun. (I know, I'm crazy.)

Britain said...

I think you should have started singing and dancing around the room. :)

sixmoores said...

I think I would have encouraged them to go jump in with Aunt Becky.

Kirsten said...

Ooohh...we, ok well I'll admit it, I...was really scared that night. With the sirens going off so much and the lightning, I starting getting freaked out. Got to love those Ohio storms. The kids slept right through it though...lucky them!

Kirsten said...

I sent it before it was done! That is so cute that the kids came in with you. Looks like the baby knows what is going on even if it is all wrapped up in your stomach!! Cute!!