Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Aunt Claudia's 60 by 80

One of my favorite people in this whole world, is my Aunt Claudia Nielson!   She is my dad's sister and she is one of the most kind, generous people that I have ever known.   Our trips to visit her in Worland are some of my greatest memories and is quickly becoming my children's favorite memories too!

Well, this sweet aunt of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer back in the spring.  I was literally standing on the carousel at Disneyland when my mom called me with the news.   Awful!   She has gone through her surgeries and treatments and thankfully, is doing well.   Her sweet husband, my Uncle Bruce, called me at the beginning of September and asked me for a favor.

Now, this Uncle Bruce of mine, NEVER asks for anything, so I was curious about what he was going to ask.   He said that one of the side effects of the chemo was that Aunt Claudia was always cold.  He really wanted her to have a quilt that she could wrap up in at night to stay warm.  He wanted it to have minkee on the back and he wanted it 60 by 80.    He said that I could pick out the fabric that I thought she would like best.  I thought it was so thoughtful of him to come up with this idea and really wanted her to be more comfortable and warm.

I was SOOOO happy to do this and honored that he would ask me.   It became known as my "60 by 80" project.  Within in a few days, I had found the fabric I wanted and ordered it.  Then, I found a free pattern and decided to get it started.

I wish I could say that I whipped this quilt out in a matter of a few days.   But, a few weeks later, it was done.  I went to the store where I usually by my minkee and found the most beautiful yellow minkee.  But, there wasn't enough!    So, I pieced extra leftover fabric to it and turned it into my quilter.  She is a gem and had it done within a few days.

I think it turned out pretty good.   We gave this to her several days ago when she came into town and I think she liked it. 

Thank you, Uncle Bruce, for the idea and chance to do this for one of the most amazing women we know!!




The front


 The back
 
You can see what a beautiful job the quilter did!

7 comments:

john + becky said...

That turned out SO CUTE and so Aunt Claudia.

You are the best!! I'm sure Aunt Claud is loving it.

Kirsten said...

I can't believe I saw you buying fabric for that a couple of weeks ago and now I am looking at the finished project! That is so awesome and I think it turned out so, SO wonderful!!! What a kind, thoughtful thing you did. Hope you are doing well..sure miss you!

The Lilly's said...

I'm so sorry to hear that Ashlee's mom is going through this. I hope things continue to go well for her. Beautiful job on the quilt!

meg said...

You are amazing. One the ride home from your house the night you gave it to her, my mom kept saying how beautiful the quilt is and how much she loves it. Thanks for doing that for her.

claudia said...

Hi Jeannette,
I love the guilt, love the fabric, love the colors, love the quilting and most of all, love you.

claudia said...

I mean the quilt..not the guilt.
good grief!

megadog said...

I just love the 60X80. It is gorgeous. You are the most talented person I know and having been the recipient of a Jeanette Quilt, I know what a treasure it is!