Friday, May 7, 2010

AMAZING Girl's Weekend in Ohio

Warning: This post is long!!

Last weekend, I had the chance to go to Ohio for several days to be reunited with some great friends! Thanks to Jon, who watched all the kids for 4 whole days (next post), I was able to do this. Kirsten was kind enough to organize and plan the weekend and it was a huge success! While living in Ohio, there was such a great core of women that were all such great influences on me and it was such a treat to see most of them in one weekend!

I flew to Ohio early Thursday morning. What a treat to read a book, not worry about a drink being spilled in my lap and watch a movie all by myself! I landed, rented a car and drove to Kirsten's. It was SO great to see her and the kids again! The kids have grown, yet, they are the same sweet kids! We visited and then met Jodi Shealy for dinner at Ruby Tuesday's. (Ammon got stuck at work, so the kids came with us and were soooo good!).

I've missed Jodi a lot and it was sure fun to catch up with her! She's a ray of sunshine and someone I love and admire. We ate outside and laughed and talked for 2 hours! (Jodi - if you're reading this - you seriously have to come visit in August!!!).


Jodi & I

Kirsten, me & Jodi


Now this girl!! What a treat! Karli is 3 (today!) and is such a hoot! She is so sweet and cute and I loved being her buddy while I was there.



Jodi with the Rasmussen kids





And this girl too!! Don't you love that smile with the missing tooth??!! Oh, man! Hailey is so beautiful and Kate was sure sad that she didn't get to come see her.



On Friday, we got up and the kids left for school. Then, I said goodbye and went to visit a couple of people.




My first stop was to visit Lenore. Lenore is our angel! She blessed our lives in every way while we were in Ohio. She took care of us and was a wonderful friend. It was fun to visit with her!



Then, I met Marilyn for brunch. Mary & Marilyn were my lunch buddies in Ohio. About once a month or so, we'd meet at Bob Evans for lunch. Unfortunately, Mary wasn't able to make it, but it was fun to visit with Marilyn.


After I got home, Kirsten & I took to kids to Costco and Polaris Mall. She got the rest of the stuff for a dinner that night and then some birthday shopping at the mall. When we got home, we played outside with the kids and their plasma cars - including races down the driveway!

Oh Brynlee - this is such a sweet girl too! She's already in Kindergarten and has a heart of gold.


And this is Ethan. He just turned 8 and he's such a good boy. He would occasionally just come and give me a hug - what a guy!


Let the races begin!!!


After playing, Kirsten and I hurried and got things ready to go to the Church for dinner. We cut veggies and loaded up the car. She had organized for several sisters to bring lasagnas & desserts. It was a yummy, yummy dinner and so wonderful to see everyone. There were about 30 women there and it felt like we had never been apart. We loved just talking and talking!

Delicious dinner & dessert


Kirsten & Lonica


Lonica & Andrea (Andrea also flew in from Utah)


Becky Larson, me, Elaine Reiser & Pam Frost
It was great to see Becky again! We both commented on how we miss watching the kids ride bikes together in the back in the evenings. Elaine is always my right-hand man in any of my church callings (I miss that!!) and Pam was a great visiting teacher to me. She was one of the first people to see Jack in the NICU after he was born.


Lisa Hymas, Angie Lines, Angie Kelly & Holly Dotson (holding Tyler Johnston - my nephew!)







Angie, Holly & Sarah Burt. Sarah ended our girl's weekend with a bang! She had her baby, James, early Sunday morning!

Becky, Kirsten & I


Me, Elaine & Kirsten

Sorry this is so far away:
RI: Shannon Pence, Jenny Allen, Lonica Rowley, Andrea Jeppesen, Ariel Silver, Becky Larson, Sarah Burt, Holly Dotson, Janis Wunderlich & Jamie Treseder
R2: Kirsten Rasmussen, Abby Priedeman, Beth Johnston, Lisa Hymas, Margaret Wunderlich & Angie Lines
R3: Shirley Cooper, Elaine Reiser, Jeannette Bowen, Pam Frost, Angie Lines, Rachel Larson, Julie McCarter, Vilo Westwood, Jenn Kingsley, Jaylene Scott, Lisa Nelson, Emily Lund, Sarah Crockett & Anita Fairbanks

Now, that's an army of women! I think among us, there are 87(ish) children!


The next morning, we got up early and participated in the Cap City 1/2 Marathon/Commit to Be Fit 5K. Kirsten & Andrea ran the 1/2 marathon and the rest of us ran/walked the 5K. It rained at times, but because of the overcast sky, it was nice and cool.
Andrea, Sarah, Kirsten & Becky


Becky & I (we used to walk each morning, so it felt natural to have Becky at my side during the 5K!!)


Jenny, Sarah, Becky, me, Angie, Holly, Angie, Andrea & Kirsten
I should note that Beth took this picture. Beth and her 2 boys were so great and came with us to the race to cheer everyone on. She was great!


Me, Kirsten & Beth


After the 5K, most of us left. I went back to Kirsten's and played with the kids. They were supposed to have soccer games, but the rain cancelled those. After Kirsten got back (soaking & freezing from the rain), she was so great to watch Joseph & Cecile Larson while Becky, Rachel & I went to the quilt store. It was fun to shop and be with Becky & Rachel!
After getting back, Christy Harston came over and we drove to Cap City for dinner. Christy was my visiting teacher nearly the entire 7 years I was in Ohio. She is a great friend, one whom I love and admire a ton. (Thank you to Lonica for organizing this!!). We sat in 2 tables and again, it was fun to visit with everyone. Yummy food and even yummier company!

Lisa, Angie, Sarah (who was in labor by this time!), Holly, Angie, Lonica, Jenny, Andrea & Beth


Camille Craw (who's flight was delayed on Friday night, so it was fun to catch up with her), Rachel, Becky, me, Jenn, Christy, Kirsten, Ariel & Anita).

After dinner, we all congregated at Graeter's ice cream - the best ice cream ever! Nothing like a black raspberry chip sundae with hot fudge sauce, whipped cream & chocolate sprinkles to end the week!


We went back to Kirsten's, put the kids to bed and then Becky came over to visit. It was great to just sit and visit, like old times sake.
On Sunday, I was able to go to Church and see everyone else that I hadn't gotten to see yet. I was so glad that my flight was later so I could do that. The Riverside Ward holds near and dear to my heart and I always draw such strength from everyone there.

After Church, we went back to Kirsten's for dinner and then I had to leave for the airport. It's always hard to say goodbye, but I think we started a great tradition!!
There were several of our friends who weren't able to make it - hopefully next time! We missed you! Thank again to all! It really couldn't have been better!!
Next Girl's Weekend: September 2011 in Utah!!!!

4 comments:

Maya said...

What great pictures! I was soooo sad I couldn't make it this year. Next year though, I will totally be in Utah with all of you! :-D

CamilleJohnFam said...

It was so good to see you! I don't know if I'll make it next year but I was so happy to be able to see everyone! how true it is that one can derive a great deal of strength from the women of Riverside Ward!

Angie (Drowns) Kelly said...

This was so fun. I really needed that weekend. The whole weekend just reminded me what great reunions we will have after this life with so many more wonderful people.

ljs said...

Great pics, Jeannette! I wish I could have been there! Hope to see you soon...