Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Grandpa & Grandma's mission call

I wanted to record the process of my parents telling us about receiving their mission call...

Back in October, we took a family trip with all of my family to Worland, WY. I could honestly tell something was weighing on my mom, but nothing was said on the trip. When we got home, my parents called and asked if everyone could come over to our house that night. We said sure, so after the kids went to bed, they came over. All of my siblings & sister-in-law came over and my parents told us about receiving a call from the First Presidency and meeting with President Eyring and being called as a mission president & mission president's wife. They knew that it would be a Russian speaking mission. My dad served his mission in Finland and then got a minor in Russian in college. Their stake was a Russian-speaking branch and my dad has been giving his talks in Russian for several years.

A couple of weeks later, we went with my parents to Disney on Ice. Afterwards, we went back to my parents house and they told our kids about their call. The kids were really excited too! These pictures show my parents telling them and then we pulled a map out to see where they might go...they knew that the Moscow and Samara missions were the 2 possibilities.



They knew their assignment would arrive some time before March 1st and a couple of weeks ago, an envelope arrived via FedEx. When we would receive our mission calls, we would sit in my mom's rocking chair (it's over 100 years old and used to be her grandmother's), and open our call. My mom wanted to do the same thing, so a couple of weeks ago, we went over to their house and got to see them open their call. We are so thrilled about Moscow and got even more excited when they were able to talk with the mission president that is there right now. Oh, they are working hard and we just love them so much!
We are so grateful for them! And anyone that knows my parents, know that they will be fabulous!
The kids looking at the mission call






Looking at pictures of the mission home




5 comments:

Kelsi said...

This is so exciting. Cute pictures. Such a special time to remember. Your parents will do an amazing job.

Carrie said...

That is so exciting. I am happy for your family!

megadog said...

That's really cute. I'm glad your mom got to do the rocking chair tradiiton. They will really do a wonderful job.

The Lilly's said...

Congratulations, what an honor for the entire family! Are you going to be able to go to Russia and visit?

Kirsten said...

This post is seriously so touching. I am so happy for your sweet parents and their hard work and preparations. That is so neat they included your kids in everything and the whole process and made sure they know all about where they are going, etc. I feel like I've been included too by all your neat posts about it.

One question? Can I stow away in your suitcase if you go to Russia?!
;-D Luv ya!