Saturday, March 13, 2010

Celebrating Grandma's 100th Birthday!

On March 1st, my grandma Sorenson would have turned 100 years old! Since our family looks for any reason to celebrate, we had a celebration! A few years ago, when my grandpa Sorenson would have turned 100, we had a family reunion - complete with a BBQ, games, a kickball game, matching shirts, etc. We were going to do something similiar this summer, but there just won't be time before my parents leave on their mission. So, we thought we'd celebrate on the actual day.

My dad and Aunt Claudia are the two children of Jay & Jeannette (Yes! This is who I am named after). My parents, my siblings, sibling-in-laws, my children, my cousin Meg and her husband Jason, my cousin Aaron and my cousin Matt all had dinner together at our house. My mom had made Jeannette's BBQ hamburgers & banana slush, I made her fruit salad and Meg made her marble cake.

When we sang Happy Birthday, we conferenced called my Aunt Claudia & Uncle Bruce in, as well as my cousin Ashlie and her family, who live in Boston. We wish that we had all been together, but it was fun to it this way too.

Aunt Claudia had prepared little gift bags for everyone - filled with candy, pencils that said "Jeannette 1910 - 2010" and a fresh $2 dollar bill as well as a calendar with pictures of grandma. It was a great evening and fun to reflect on the life of this incredible woman!

My parents

Mike & Candy

Getting ready to eat cake


Becky & Hannah (who is unsure of the burning candles)


Blowing out the candles



Hannah & Matt (Hannah just loves Matt. He is always so cute about carrying her around and playing with her.)



Hannah eating cake (although she usually doesn't try to eat with the fork upside-down).

3 comments:

pamela said...

what a great tradition jeanette.

Em said...

Looks like a fun party. You are such a nice hostess and always make everything so nice.

Megan said...

I hope you had a great day with Becky's wedding today! I just wanted to thank you for such a fun day yesterday! It was so fun meeting you and getting together with kirsten for lunch. I can see why you and Kirsten are such wonderful friends--you are so similar! Talented to the max!!!