Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Fond Farewell

It has been a whirlwind of a week! We have laughed and cried and soaked in every last moment we had with my parents. Last Sunday was their "farewell" and they spoke in Church. They both did an outstanding job and even though it was quite emotional for me, it was wonderful and exciting.

We had a luncheon for them at our house afterwards and it was fun to see everyone and visit with them. My parents have touched so many people's lives and everyone was so kind and sweet to them.

Part of the food table

My mom and her good friend, Nancy

This is Phil - he's been my mom's Russian tutor


My mom and Aunt Claudia



Pat Olsen, mom & me

Becky Cowden, Claudia Nielson, mom & Pat Olsen
Then on Tuesday morning, we had the opportunity to go with my parent's to Elder L. Tom Perry's office to be set-apart. He had recently visited Russia and said some very kind things. I know that Russia is where they are supposed to go. No doubt about it - Russia needs them.
It was a great experience to be in Elder Perry's office and hear the powerful blessings that were given to both my parents.

Walking in to be set apart
After that, we all went to lunch at the Sizzler!

Rich & Misty with Lindsey, Kate & Emily

Candy & Hannah

My dad and Jack


Hannah - looking so grown up!

Don't they just glow?
They left the next morning to go to the MTC in Provo for several days. They had a wonderful experience and were taught so much!

Then, tonight (Sunday), they were able to come home for one last night. We had a BBQ together and enjoyed our last moments with them. John Mortensen & Candy had put together a DVD slideshow of pictures from the last year. It was so fun to see. It's been a great year! We figured out that 1 year ago today, we pulled out of Ohio and started heading towards Utah. My parents were with us and we never would have guessed that we'd be saying goodbye to them.
We are so blessed to have each other. If this work wasn't true, I don't think I'd let them go. But, this is a call from the Lord and I know it's where they need to be at this time. I'm so grateful for their example of missionary work, service and faith. I'm also extremely grateful for a wonderful husband, kids and siblings that are such a strength to me!

Peter & Hannah




Richard at the grill!


Oh, my dad! What a great guy!












Hannah checking out my mom's nametag






Oh, my mom! What an amazing woman!


All of us!

Goodbye Mom and Dad! As my dad wrote in all of the letters he sent to me while I was on my mission - AKBH!!! (Always Keep a Brave Heart!). We love you!

6 comments:

Ryan Cowley said...

Oh man! I am sitting here bawling! Oh the memories...

megadog said...

We'll sure miss them. I am really happy they got one more time to come and be with everyone!
They will be amazing!
Thinking about you guys today! Happy for them...sad for all of us.

john + becky said...

Oh I'm going to miss them so much. That was so fun last night..I didn't want it to end! They will be great in Russia..I just wish we could all go with them.

Brad and Julianne Heaps said...

I love your parents too -- even though I haven't spent a lot of time around them, their influence on me through you, and their letters to Ohio were so sweet. I'm sure they will continue to touch so many people in Russia.

Em said...

Such great pictures. We are going to miss them. Even softball wasn't the same without them there. It will be fun to hear how everything is going.

The Lilly's said...

You have an amazing family, and I'm so impressed, not just with your parents but also with you for your wonderful attitude about sending them off. Best wishes to you all!