Saturday, September 6, 2008

Nice Compliments

It's a very entertaining thing to take 5 kids anywhere and to see the looks people give and the questions they ask. I can't count the number of times people have asked "Are they all yours?" or "Are you going to have any more?" (I laugh at this one because I think they feel like even though it's none of their business, since I'm crazy enough to have 5 kids, I must not mind them having no tact). I think it's funny to see the reaction of people. Some give sympathetic looks, some give looks of disgust and some just smile.

This week I received two nice compliments. I was at Sam's Club one morning with Jack, Kate & Hannah. There was a really cute older couple and they were looking at the kids, commenting on their eyes and she looked at me and said "You are really blessed." I told her that I totally agreed - I am!

Then today, Jon is at work, so the kids and I cleaned the house, had gone to soccer practice, were at Home Depot (building football stands for paper football) and were headed to the grocery store after that. The kids were hammering and using screwdrivers to make their projects and I was helping them when they needed it. The Home Depot worker came over and said "Wow, you're a well-oiled machine." I can't say that anyone has ever referred to me as a machine before! It was such a sweet comment though and I told her I appreciated her saying that. When you have 5 great kids like I do, it's easy!

Here's to all of us giving out more compliments to each other - they really do make other's feel good!

4 comments:

Jessika said...

You do have some of the most wonderful kids in the world (I know I've told you before that Jason and I have said a number of times that we hope we have "Bowen kids" someday!) but I think a lot of that has to do with you and Jon. You guys are such great parents and you set an awesome example for the rest of us! I can only hope to be half the Mom you are and REALLY hope my kids turn out as good as yours! Thank you for sharing your sweet family with all of us!

Becky Sorenson said...

Ahh...I remember getting all those looks when I took the kids places. The all time best.."Emily, Lindsey, Jack, and Kate...your Momma is here." Ha ha!! I miss you!

Debbie said...

It amazes me what people say. They have no tact at all. My favorite is with the twins... people always say "double trouble" and I just respond "double the blessings" I just laugh at these people though, they have no clue. I totally agree with your friend Jessika, the two of you are amazing parents!

Kirsten said...

To my well oiled machine....oh that one is good! I think I have a new name for you sis! LOL! That is so great!

You really do do such a fantastic job of being a mom of five and handling so much so well. Home Depot is not easy with two kids, let alone FIVE! You are amazing! You teach me so much everyday of how to balance life with so many responsibilites and I look up to your family so much. Keep up great work and feel free to have five more kids just like the ones you've got! ;-)