Wednesday, December 17, 2008

10 Years!

Today is our 10 year anniversary! I can't believe how quickly time goes and that it's already been a decade! Along with every day being amazed that I have a blond daughter, I am even more amazed every day that I was lucky enough to find and marry Jon.


We first met in June 2008. My mission companion, Julianne Gentry Heaps was at BYU and invited me and another missionary companion, to come to Provo to go to the Manti Pageant. Jon was finishing up his degree that summer and happened to be walking to the grocery store when Julianne's roommate saw him and told him about a group going to the Pageant that night. He wasn't doing much else that night, so he did. Jon and Julianne were in the same ward, so when we got down there, she introduced us. We visited for a few minutes and then went on with the evening. He did end up coming home in my car.


Then a few days later, it was the 4th of July weekend and Julianne invited me back down to Provo (I was living in Salt Lake). Somehow we saw Jon again and he convinced me to run the 5K in the morning. He helped me borrow Beth's shoes (again - thank you Beth!) and then after the race we ended up spending the whole day together. I met his other sister Anne and some of her kids, we had a BBQ for lunch, we swam, we went and saw "The Truman Show" and watched the fireworks that evening. It was so easy to talk with Jon and I knew there was something great about him.

The next day, I called Julianne and asked her to find out what he thought of our day and me. What a great friend! She did and then we started calling one another and going out. He had already accepted a teaching position in Nampa, Idaho and was moving in August. We dated for those several weeks and then he moved. We talked on the phone and took turns visiting each other about every other weekend. We were engaged in October and then married in December! It was great!

I married a high school math teacher and I was a secretary for the Idaho Attorney General's office. We began our lives together and never imagined the adventures the next 10 years would bring. Within the first few months of marriage, we got pregnant with Emily and decided to take the path of medical school. Jon had considered medical school before and knew that even though he liked teaching, it wasn't what he wanted to do forever. We finished the school year in Nampa and then moved to Utah so that Jon could take classes to get ready to take the MCAT and apply to medical school. He taught at Murray High School for three years and then accepted an offer from Ohio State to attend medical school. Now, 10 years later, we have 5 amazing children and are finishing up residency - yeah!

We have LOVED our lives together. I love Jon more and more every day and I know that tomorrow, I'll love him even more. He has made all of my dreams come true! Every coin thrown into a fountain, every birthday candle blown out and every turkey wishbone broken, was that I would meet and marry a wonderful man and be able to be a mom! He made both of those things come true! I love you Jon - thank you for these 10 years and here's to the next 10!!

Jon and I on Christmas Eve 1998
We had just gotten back from our honeymoon

10 years later

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

how sweet! I seriously got teary eyed. I can't wait for you guys to move back. I seriously want to do dinner sometime..i can't wait to meet all the kids instead of just emily and lindsey. and to see you again my dear friend. congrats on 10 years and counting

CamilleJohnFam said...

That was so fun to hear your story. I love your really young picture! That's darling! May the good times keep coming!

Ryan Cowley said...

Congratulations on 10 years. That is awesome. Great story!

Cyndi said...

What a great story. Thanks for sharing! Congrats on your 10 years!!

Debbie said...

Congrats on 10 years!!! You two are the sweetest couple!

emilyf said...

I got teary-eyed too! that wishbone/candle/coin toss comment. Awww! I just love you Jeannette! I have always admired so much your marriage, I'm so glad ten years has only made it stronger and better. Thanks for your awesome examples together and your sweet children! Gladder than glad we're family!