Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Christmas House Puzzle

For those of you who know me well, know that I love puzzles. I wish that I had more time to do them, because I think they're great. Growing up, we used to do 1,000 piece puzzles together as a family every year, especially at Christmas time.

There is one puzzle is that absolutely my favorite - it's an old one, called The Christmas House. (This is a blurry version of it). It's also a favorite of my sister, Becky. A few years ago, we decided to time ourselves to see how long it would take us to put it together. We set up the border and we sort the pieces. The first time we timed ourselves, it took us an hour and 54 minutes. We are steadily gotten better and better, so we had to try for a new record again this year. The first time we tried, our time was 1 hour 3 minutes and 50 seconds! Determined to do it under an hour, a couple of days later, we did it again! Our time - 53 minutes and 10 seconds!!!! (I know there are some non-puzzle-doers out there - including Jon - who aren't impressed (and who think we cheat by doing the border and sorting the pieces) - but for those of us who do 1,000 piece puzzles - this is great!). Anyway, what a treat! Next time - under 50 minutes!

5 comments:

Debbie said...

how fun! we use to do them too growing up. Merry Christmas!!!

Kirsten said...

How fun! Congrats on acheiving a new goal and that you get to look forward to doing that every year. Hopefully you are keeping a list with the dates and "scores" in the box cover or something. That would be fun to look at and have your kids try and beat. Hope you had a Merry Christmas.

CamilleJohnFam said...

Jeanette--I have to say double impressive....I got a 300 piece puzzle yesterday and worked very hard for 2 hrs not finishing it! Of course I don't have anyone besides the kids who enjoy it! But nonetheless....WOW! Cudos to you!

Ryan Cowley said...

We love doing the 1000 piece puzzles for Conference. I have to say, you time is VERY impressive!!

Angela said...

I did this same puzzle with my grandmother for years. I have searched for another for years, to no avail. There is just something about The Christmas House that gives warm fuzzies!