Friday, September 11, 2009

Kate's Broken Arm

Thursday afternoons/evenings are the busiest night of the week at the Bowen household. Yesterday, was no exception. Jon was at work, I picked up Emily and Lindsey from school, fed them a snack in the car and drove them to Activity Days. I came home, made dinner and started to feed everyone. Emily and Lindsey got home with just 10 minutes to eat before heading out the door to soccer games.
With literally the help of my dad, my mom, Peter, Richard and Becky, we cheered Jack, Lindsey & Emily on during their soccer games (each at a different location). All three played great and had a great time! After Emily's game, my mom took the two oldest girls to their dance class (which they arrive 1/2 hour late for every week because of soccer). I filled up the van with gas and started home. Richard and Becky had taken the three little kids home after Jack's game. I called Becky to tell her I was on my way.
About 7 or 8 minutes later, I got a call back from Becky and she said "Are you almost home?" I knew something wasn't right. I asked what was wrong and she said that she thought Kate broke her arm. She had been jumping on the trampoline and fell on it. I was 1 minute away. I got there and sure enough, her arm was shaped really funny and I knew she needed to go in. She had stopped crying and was just holding it really still.
I put Hannah and Jack to bed and then called Jon. He was working at LDS Hospital and wanted to see if I should bring Kate to him or just take her to Primary Children's. He said to just bring her to LDS, so we headed in. Becky stayed at the house and put Emily and Lindsey to bed when my mom brought them home after dance. Kate fell asleep on the way and pretty much slept while I waited in the waiting room and would barely wake up for her x-rays. The x-rays showed that she had broken her left arm in 2 spots. My mom and Richard joined us at the ER and that was great. I sat there and felt so blessed. The timing of this break was incredible....Becky was there to stay with the other 4 kids, Jon was working and it wasn't super busy, so he could help us, my mom and Richard came up to the hospital, and while I was driving there, I ended up right behind my cousin's husband, Jason. He was riding his scooter home and when we both stopped at a light, I rolled down my window and yelled at him. He was so great and when the light turned green, he got over into the other lane so that I could pass. We even had family pictures taken the day before!
Jon splinted Kate's arm and we went home. She slept pretty good (just a couple of wimpers in the night) and then he took her back to Primary Children's this morning. They sedated her and set her arm and then put it back in a splint. We'll go in next week to the Fracture Clinic and they will cast it. She'll probably need the cast for 4-6 weeks. She's been really great about the whole thing.
5 kids and this is our first broken bone...not too bad. One of the attendings last night offered Jon $50 for the trampoline. We thought that was really funny! (I'll get a picture of the x-ray and post that soon).
Wrapping up the broken arm



Jon making a sling for her arm



Such a brave girl!

9 comments:

CamilleJohnFam said...

Poor Kate! I broke my arm on a trampoline too. Maybe you should accept the $50 (although they are hours of entertainment). So nice to have family around in situations like this!

pamela said...

holy cow. i mean, your day sounds absolutely crazy even before the break!

**but what i love is that dr. dad got to help her out.

angie said...

Wow! Your life sounds a lot like ours with soccer games, dance class and activity days. Ouchie for Kate. So sad when one of your babies get hurt! How nice that Jon could be the one to fix her big owie! :)

Ryan Cowley said...

Poor Kate! Poor mom too! I think one of the worst things in life is watching one of your children suffer! Glad to hear she slept through most of it!

emilyf said...

oh dear! That Kate! Leave it to her to break the first bone. Sorry about that! I just love that precious picture of all the girls at the top!! The adventures of Jeannette Super Mom continue!

Anonymous said...

breaking bones is no fun at all...Kate is so much like Robyn...it makes me smile, her adventures reminds me of Robyns spirit too. Love it! You are super blessed to have your family, and each and everyone of those sweet spirits. You are an amazing mom. So glad it all worked out so well. Love you girl

Noakes said...

Yikes, what a bummer. So blessed to have a husband that can help out with things like that. I'm so glad you have so much family around to help out with all the craziness of having small kids!!! Glad to hear you guys are doing well.

Jessika said...

Wow, what a day! So cool that Jon got to be the one to fix her, I'm sure that made Kate feel better to have her Daddy there along with Mommy. You guys are so awesome and I miss you so much. I'm actually going to be in SLC next week and I'm doing some job interviews with IHC! Does Jon work for IHC?

AnnDee said...

WOW -- Is this what I have to look forward to when my kids get older. Honestly, how could you do it without family close? You schedule seems insane. I bet you feel blessed often that you are closer again. I hope Kate heals fast and straight. Broken bones are bummers.

PS -- VERY cute family pics. I can't believe your baby is 1. Time for number 6 I guess!! :)