Saturday, December 12, 2009

Family Service

When we packed all our things this summer, I found a folder that had stories for each day of December. So, we have read those to the kids at bedtime and it's been really great. The very first story was about a mother who was getting frustrated at all the teasing and fighting that was going on (wow - that sounds familiar!). She decided that each week, the family would draw names of one another and then for that week, they were to do secret service things for that person. When they did something kind, they could put a piece of hay/straw into a cradle, so that by Christmas, there would be enough straw for a soft bed for Baby Jesus.

Our kids loved that story and wanted to do the same thing. So, Monday night for Family Home Evening, we played a Christmas game and then pulled names. The next morning, there were little bits of service everywhere. After the kids had gone to school, I went into our bedroom and this is what I found:

Jack has Jon's name and this was the only thing he could think of doing. He laid out his scrubs & socks on the floor. A little later, he went back and put Jon's bag right next to it. It was such a cute site and cracked us up. He later told Jon that was the only thing he could think of to do. Hopefully the little secret acts of service will continue!

2 comments:

REBYRYAN said...

Oh!! Thanks for the reminder! We try to do this every year but I haven't pulled out my Christmas stuff yet (I know, I'm a mean mommy, but that's what happens when you have a destructo duo living at your house!)! But I'll have to at least pull this one out! Thank you!!

emilyf said...

How. Precious. Gosh how Jack loves his Daddy. I just love that!