Friday, December 4, 2009

Picking the Perfect Christmas Tree

We love getting our Christmas trees from places where you can saw them down yourself. We were able to find a Tree Farm in Alpine, UT this year, so the day after Thanksgiving, we took the kids and went. They had row after row of pine trees and it was fun to pick one. Jon and I always laugh when it comes to picking out trees because he could spend hours and hours looking for the perfect tree, at the perfect price. Me, on the other hand....show me 10 trees and I will pick one that I like.

We walked down a few rows and found a great tree that we all liked (well, except Lindsey. She really wanted a blue spruce, but we all thought it looked too blue). Then, I waited at the tree with a couple of kids, while Jon walked back to the gate and returned with a guy on a 4-wheeler. We sawed it down, loaded it on the 4 wheeler and they drove the tree to the van. The kids had a great time (other than waiting for us to tie the tree to the roof)!

Then, last night, I was cleaning up dinner, Jon was sleeping and the kids were putting the decorations on all by themselves. I had Christmas music on and it was a moment of perfectness for me to see my 5 little children around the tree putting decorations and candy canes on it. Ah, I love the Christmas season!
Emily, Lindsey & Kate finding our tree

Lindsey

Jack


Emily



Kate




Hannah



Jack, Christmas farm worker, Emily & Lindsey arriving back at the tree



Jon and Emily sawing it down



Kate, man, Jack & Lindsey with the tree loaded and ready to go to the van


Emily & Hannah

Tied on and ready to go!

5 comments:

Em said...

That is cool. I didn't know there was one in Alpine. The one we go into is Ogden (Morgan Canyon). We'll have to try this one.

The Lilly's said...

One of my favorite Christmas memories as a kid was going to the tree farm to cut our own tree, but I've never known where there were any farms here. I'll have to get the info from you next November!

emilyf said...

can't wait to see it set up! fun fun!

Beth Johnston said...

My favorite Christmas tree cutting memory is still the first year we cut a tree in Ohio and then with the tree on top of the van parked front and center in front of the McDonalds at the Easton Mall. Jon and I were laughing so hard! Nothing like fitting in with the ritzy shoppers!

AnnDee said...

how fun! I wish we got real trees... Its such a fun tradition to go pick them out! The individual shots of your kids are so cute.

I think Diego (Tyler) looks exactly like Kyle. How fun beth got to come visit for a few days!! I miss them too... Next time you talk to her -- tell her hi from me.