Saturday, January 10, 2009

Goodbye Dear Friends

Kate and I each had to say goodbye to something in our lives this week...
It seems that a Bowen baby tradition is to have a binkie. All of our babies have had them and we love the quiet and peace that they bring. Right before the kids have turned three, we have gotten rid of the binkie and so Kate had to bid hers farewell this week. I took her to Target on Monday night and I told her she could pick out a new toy that she could buy with her binkies. She wanted a new baby doll (since the 36 we have weren't enough), so she found a little set of twins, complete with their own stroller, swing and diaper bag. Luckily for Kate, I had some Target gift cards from Christmas, so I consented. We went to the checkout and I handed them to her. When I told her to give them to the lady, she happily handed them over. (The lady looked at me like I was crazy and I told her to just throw them in the t-r-a-s-h. She still looked confused and I think she was thinking that I wanted her to donate them to underprivileged binkie suckers or something. I finally had to just say - "please just throw them away.") We left Target and Kate was as happy as could be - until it was time for bed. Each night since Monday, she has asked to return to Target to get the binkies back from the lady. But, she's also fallen asleep really great and done fabulous! I think it will take her awhile to completely forget about them, but she's done really great and hasn't even tried to take Hannah's from her. Way to go Big Girl!

Then, I am going to need to bid farewell to my dresser. This poor dresser was literally smashed in our move out to Ohio 6 1/2 years ago and has been held together by wood glue. Well, the other day, I was putting clothes away in it and one-by-one, each drawer started falling on top of each other. It's still in our bedroom and thankfully the only drawer I can't get in right now has capris & shorts in them.

Life is definitely full of "hellos" and "goodbyes!"

3 comments:

Debbie said...

that was sooooo hard with all my kids, but the girls were the hardest! cute way you got rid of them. the roughs need a bowen fix badly...we are thinking about ccoming back for the 4th of july. will you be there? when do you leave?

Maya said...

that's a great idea about the binkies! i will have to remember that :-)

Ryan Cowley said...

I love this idea for getting rid of the binky! Sometimes I think it is harder for mom than the little one when it is time to say goodbye to the binky!