Friday, March 28, 2008

Visiting Teaching and Strep Throat

This week has flown by (as it always does) and can be characterized by visiting teaching and strep throat. I spent 12 hours on Wednesday conducting visiting teaching interviews. It was a really great experience to sit down (or talk on the phone) one-on-one with the great sisters of our ward. They are all inspirational to me. We're having our annual visiting teaching conference on Sunday and I still need to put together my thoughts for a talk.

On Thursday morning, Emily complained of a sore throat, headache and a stomach ache. She stayed home from school and progressively felt worse over the course of the day. She finally threw up in the evening and we figured that it may be strep. Jack had also been saying that it hurt to swallow and we noticed that his already huge tonsils were even bigger. One side is starting to push the uvula (I have no idea how to spell that) over. But, he has always acted completely normal. So, I scheduled an appointment for Emily today and asked if I could bring Jack along too because I wanted the pediatrician to look at his tonsils. We come to find out that both kids had strep. Thankfully they are both on antibiotics and are already feeling better. Jack also has a rash that concerned the doctor a little bit, so I took him for blood work this afternoon.

The lab tech pricked one of this fingers and could barely get 2 or 3 drops out. He didn't flinch or anything. Then she had to try another one. She warmed his hand and then did it again. He didn't flinch the second time, but this time said "That hurted." He got teary-eyed when we got to the car and told me that he never wanted to do that again. We'll see what those results are. He snores like a grizzly bear at night, so we'll see if we can possibly get those monsterous tonsils out.

5 comments:

lisa h. said...

oh i'm so sorry. well take it from me, if he needs them out just do it now. i'm going to an ent this week and will probably be scheduling a surgery as well. i'm going to David Powell, who my OB recommended. he took out her son's tonsils. i loved my old ent, but he dropped our insurace. how can you not take OSU insurance in columbus? i'm glad they're feeling better!

AnnDee said...

Let us know how the blood work turns out. that's kind of scary. You did wonderfully on the VT conference. I think it was a much needed meeting so all the sisters could meet together. You never can tell that you've ever had a stressful day -- how do you do that??

megadog said...

Strep throat is the worst of the worst. When I have had strep throat I have wished for death on many occasions.

sixmoores said...

I don't like to have my kids blood work done. It always seems like they have to get poked too many times. Hope you get good news.

Em said...

This winter has been terrible with kids being sick. Can it be spring yet?